Friday 19 October 2012

Welcome to the Kiosk Alice Potter

It's high time we had another Q&A session. So today I have great pleasure in welcoming  Alice Potter  to the Kiosk. Alice is an illustrator who's work I first discovered by accident on Etsy. I immediately bought her Dancing Girls print because it had a graphic simplicity to it, but was pretty and fun too. It pleases me every day and reminds me to have a dance! Alice's illustrations offer me a world I want to jump straight into. They look an excellent place to be. I hope you agree. Enjoy the interview...


EC  Firstly, for those who may not know your work, how would you describe what you do?
AP  I am an illustrator, and I live and work in London. My work is bold, colourful, stylised and decorative.

EC  What set you off on the path of illustration and surface pattern design?
AP I sort of fell into illustration a year and a half after graduating, although throughout my degree in Textile Design, I was aware that my work was heading that way. I decided to take a short course in the subject to get a grounding in it, and ended up building up my portfolio in the summer of 2010. 

EC  Tell me a bit about your work process. Do you sketch or are you a straight to digital gal?
AP  I do keep sketchbook, albeit, very messy ones. I then use the sketches to inform my digital work where I use a combination of Illustrator and Photoshop.

EC  Personal project or client brief?
AP  I like them both. I love getting a brief from a client, as it gives me a focus and purpose. If I have time to do personal work, then it's always a bonus to what I do, although I find I spend more time thinking rather than doing. 

EC  Is there a particular era or style that inspires you?

AP  Not particularly. I do like looking at mid-century things, but equally find more contemporary styles inspire me more.

EC  What would you most like to see your work on?
AP Definitely the cover of a book. I think that would be a career defining moment for me.

EC  Tell me one thing about you that no one would guess from looking at your work.
AP  I have a tattoo. Now you are all going to be guessing where it is!

EC  The Kiosk likes to enjoy the simple things. What is your favourite word, colour, shape, artist and food?
AP Favourite colour is (right now) peach. Favourite word is bean (I call my cat, Scruffy, that multiple times a day). Favourite shape is a circle. Favourite artist(s) is the Peepshow Collective. Lastly, my favourite food would be tuna steak. 
EC  The Kiosk loves a to do list. What is next on your agenda?
AP  Well, after this Q&A, I have another one to crack on with!

EC  Any other information we should know?
AP  My tattoo is on the inside of my left ankle.


Thanks to Alice for sharing her work and thoughts. If you want to find out more you can see her website here http://alicepotter.co.uk and do check out this video of her latest project The Bakers Dozen.
All images are copyright © Alice Potter

1 comment: